On December 3, 1900, the Twentieth Century Club of Middleburgh was organized by a group of women at the home of
Mrs. M. J. Roberts. At that time the club was known as the Musicale Club. It continued under that name until 1902 when it was named
the Elude Club. On November 30, 1904, the club name was changed to the Twentieth Century Club. The club united with the
Federation of Women's Club in the year 1911 and remained affiliated with them until 1987. At that time, we returned to our status
of a local organization. In 1991, the club became more active in civic and community affairs. The object of the club today
is to promote sociability, music, literature and philanthropy as well as local improvements and beautification throughout
In the years since it was founded, we have sponsored and supported such worth-shile projects as the Memorial Park, the formation of the Middleburgh
Library, community theatre-known as the Timothy Murphy Playhouse, the Spook Club, the Impulse Theater and Dance Group and the FISH program in the community.
Over the years we have actively promoted and supported many local activities including Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, the Community Pool, Christmas Bureau,
Middleburgh Central School graduation awards, Community Hospital Improvements including the Middleburgh Bassett Health Center, MEVAC,
Little League, The Maze Craze playground, the Kindergarten playground, Animal Shelter of Schoharie Valley, Ladies Auxiliary of Middleburgh Fire Department
and Habitat for Humanity. We also donated a much needed wheel chair to Middleburgh High School.
Each spring the club plants flowers in Memorial Park and provides hanging baskets along Main Street with the help of the village and local businesses.
In Deceember of each year, we decorate Memorial Park and provide Christmas trees for the Middleburgh Elementary students to decorate along with cookies
and candy canes for the students to enjoy. In the past we have decorated the library and sponsored the Dr. Best House Victorian Tea by providing the refreshments.
We also donated a decorated tree each year to the Festival of Trees held at the Old Stone Fort in Schoharie.
In 1977, we published our third club cookbook. The club, along with the village gave "Welcome to Middleburgh" signs, one at each end of the village in 1999.
In 2009, we shared the cost of the sign renewal. We continue to support the library through TAG Day held on Election Day each year, which began in 1943.
We also introduced and still participate in a book sale which is held in July annually. The club has held silent auctions & wine tasting and assisted at the
Connor Brothers' Golf Tournament. We had barn sales to raise funds for the new library building as well. The library has been a major project since its founding.
Many club members have served as library trustees. Our club pin was designed especially for our Centennial by Joan Youmans. We continue to find new community
projects to support each year with the active involvement of our membership.